Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Unstealing...

This has nothing to do with food, other than we were at a restaurant, but I thought this was pretty funny. We were at the local Village Inn and we had just received our ticket and I had given her my credit card. She brought me back my receipt and a pen. She had personalized pens with a little note that says "This pen was stolen from....." and her name. As I was signing my name my little Jayce, who is just learning to read, asked his sister to read the pen to him. She read it verbatim...... "This pen was stolen from Mary Smith" (I don't remember the waitresses name) and Jayce stopped and stared at me. After thinking for a minute he said, "Mommy, it's not nice to steal! You should unsteal it right now!"

After I finished laughing and signed the receipt, I walked with Jayce over to the waitress and handed her her pen back and apologized to her for stealing her pen. She looked puzzled for a minute and then upon looking down at Jayce and back at the pen you could see it dawn on her what was going on. She thanked me for returning her pen and I could hear her chuckling as we walked away. Little Jayce was so proud of himself for rescuing the pen that I have not been able to tell him yet, that mommy would never steal something and that was just her way of keeping track of her pens. Funny adult jokes are most often lost on the small innocence of children.

No comments: