Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Best Bread Recipe

Working for a Kitchen Store, I find myself making bread more now than ever before. And by using whole grains I don't need the weight loss pills and I am getting healthier! Having tried many, many recipes, I finally asked my Grandmother for my Great Grand Mother's Bread Recipe. Now, you might think that I am prejudice, as this is the bread I grew up on. However, most of the people I work with agree that this is the Best Bread Recipe. It is super soft and absolutely delicious!

1 3/4 Cups Warm Water*
2 Tbls. Butter, softened
3 Tsp. Vital Wheat Gluten**
3 Tsp. Dough Enhancer**
4 1/3 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
2 Tsp. Salt
3 1/2 Tsp SAF Yeast

Add ingredients, in order, in to your Bread Mixer. Allow to mix/knead for 8 minutes to allow the gluten to set. Break into 2 loaves and place in greased bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

*Adjust your water according to your location and the current barometric pressure. You want a good soft dough, but not too sticky.

**I have adapted it just a little from my Grandma's recipe by adding Wheat Gluten and Dough Enhancer. I'm not sure that those were around in Grandma's day, but they sure do help to make my bread perfect.

No comments: