Monday, November 03, 2008

Healthy Grilling

If it is cooked on the grill, I love it. I don't really care what it is, I love it! Veggies, steak, hamburger, Salmon, heck! even hot dogs! But I have been noticing that grilling is not always the healthiest option. However, I have found some simple methods to make healthy grilling a reality in my home year round.

To start with, in the summer time when I am outside, using my big grill, I used to use Bacon grease to grease the grates. It added a wonderful smell and a great flavor to the food. However, I have found that coconut oil is a much healthier alternative and gives the BBQ a Luau flair. On the other hand, olive oil works great as well, with out a strong smell or flavor. So the true flavor of my meat is the star of the show!

For indoor grilling, pans and griddles are so way out! All that grease that collects around and absorbs back into my food is just out of the question! I use counter top grills that allow the grease and drippings to drip off into a catch tray, leaving my food healthier and as flavorful as ever. Again, I will use coconut oil or olive oil to prep the grill to prevent sticking.

Enjoy!

No comments: