Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Meatloaf with a Kick

I never much cared for meatloaf until a friend let me in on one of her little secrets. She adds salsa to her meatloaf to keep it moist and give it a little extra kick. I have since played with different recipes until I found just the perfect combination for my family. It works beautifully doubled as well since 1 pound of meat is never enough to feed my large family.

1 lbs ground beef
1 1/2 C. Salsa
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 C. crushed saltine crackers

Combine ground beef, 1 cup salsa and eggs. Add crackers. Pack into a loaf pan or baking dish. Cover the meat mixture with the remaining salsa. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Some tips and tricks I have learned with this, oatmeal or bread crumbs can replace the saltine crackers as a filler. Do not over mix the meat, hamburger will toughen up the more it's handled.

No comments: