Sunday, February 24, 2008

Stretch Your Burgers

Not everyone can handle this but my kids can not tell the difference. As the price of meat skyrockets I find it harder and harder to keep meat on the table for my family of seven. However I learned a little trick that helps my ground beef go just a little further. I will add up to a cup of oatmeal to each pound of ground beef before making burgers. I will mix it in with my marinade and let it sit overnight. I have left it for as little as one hour and found that the flavor is not drawn out quite as much but it still works in a pinch. I usually use about a 1/4 c. Worstershire sauce, one teaspoon of yellow or brown mustard, one egg and a pinch of salt, mixed in with the ground beef and oats and let it sit overnight. The next morning I will make the patties and have them ready for my husband to throw them on the grill when he gets home from work.

No comments: