Monday, June 16, 2008

I love to read

I love to read and when I had boys, I was so worried that they would follow in their Daddy's footsteps and hate to read, hate books, hate everything about it. I am the kind of person that can spend hours on end at the bookstore, the library or hidden away with my newest book. I get a new book and you can bet that I'll have it read within a day or two. I don't put it down once I pick it up. It's a lot like an addiction. Daddy on the other hand, will read repair manuals or instruction booklets, but as far as picking up a book just to read for enjoyment, it just won't happen. He gets no enjoyment out of reading.

My fears were put at ease recently however. I have been getting frustrated at Big C for this or that, but he just seemed to be getting farther and farther behind in his chores and the reason became painfully clear. Everytime I was out of site, he would sit back down on his bed and start reading his book again. This went on to the point on me grounding him from reading and taking away his books. I couldn't really blame him, like I said, put a book in front of me and I finish it. I don't put it down until it's done. Chores be damned. But, finally we came upon a solution, I would allow him time to read one book cover to cover, then he had to completely finish his chores before starting another one.

Fortunately for me, this has worked wonders! His chores are getting done again and he is still enjoying his reading. Now if I can just figure out what to do about Ladybug! She had 3 pages of missing assignments and her teacher said it was because she was reading during class instead of doing her work. Maybe this is a curse and I blissfully unaware of it. Maybe Daddy has the right idea and has escaped the addiction that has the rest of us bound. Maybe?

No comments: